Assessment, Teaching and Learning in Science Education
The research group 'Assessment, Teaching and Learning in Science Education' studies teaching and learning processes in science education at all educational levels – with a focus on secondary and tertiary education. A primary focus in the research is assessment of and for student learning. More specifically, the members of the research group investigate how teachers can operationalise complex competencies (such as inquiry competencies, innovation, argumentation, modelling, educational formation ('Bildung’), and societal decision-making) as learning goals in science teaching and assess students’ progress in obtaining these goals. Further, the group is concerned with studying and improving science teacher’s professional development at both national and international levels.
The members of the group work with a variety of methods (interviews, questionnaires, network analysis, observations, conceptual analysis, etc.) – typically in combinations – and often apply both quantitative and qualitative approaches. It is important that the research has a direct utility for science teaching practice and policy-making. Thus the projects often involve different stakeholder groups, and the researchers highly prioritise outreach activities about their research (for requests about specific presentations or workshops for e.g. schools contact Jan Alexis Nielsen: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- How can the acquisition of generic competences in science be supported by assessment practices?
- How can formative and summative assessment practices be integrated?
- How do different teacher professional development interventions affect self-efficacy?
- Which assessment practices support teaching of socioscientific issues?
- ASSIST-ME ("Assess Inquiry in Science, Technology and Mathematics Education”)
- "Aligning formative assessment of students modelling competence with the national curriculum" (Sanne Schnell Nielsen, PhD project)
- Upper Secondary School Rethought (“Gymnasiet Tænkt Forfra”)
- PROFILES ("Professional Reflection-Oriented Focus on Inquiry-based Learning and Education through Science”)
- Evaluering af naturvidenskabelig dannelse i stx og hf
- PreSEES ("Preparing Science Educators for Everyday Science”)
- Evaluering af forsøgsfaget Bioteknologi
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship (KU-2016 project)
- Interdisciplinarity (KU-2016 project)
- Anvendelsesorientering, 4. runde
- Anvendelsesorientering, 3. runde