Visiting Researchers

The Department welcomes visiting researchers and doctoral students for research within the following fields:

  • Science education (all science disciplines, all educational levels)
  • Mathematics education (all educational levels)
  • History and philosophy of science
  • Higher education
  • Educational use of ICT
  • Science communication

On this page, you can read about:

Visit types and services provided by the Department

Visits can be both short term (less than one month) and long term (up to one year). The Department accepts two types of visiting researchers:

  • Visiting researchers (those who are research active academic staff at other institutions)
  • Visiting doctoral researchers (who are registered as doctoral students at another institution)

Visitors are offered an opportunity to participate in a vibrant research environment and are provided with a range of services and facilities. All visitors are assigned a contact person and will typically be affiliated with one of the Department’s seven research groups. Visitors are encouraged to give a short seminar shortly after arrival.

Visiting researchers will always be provided with access to internet and administrative support. Long-term visitors will typically also be given access to a UCPH email address, The Royal Library and office desk space. The Department has a well-functioning administration, which can assist in all matters relating to visits. Contact persons will refer visitors to the relevant parts of the administration.

Til toppen

Accommodation for visitors

Visiting researchers will normally need to arrange their own accommodation. The Department’s administration is in most cases able to provide contact details of local agencies. For short-term visits, see a map of nearby hotels here:

Til toppen

Visitor fees and visa information

Visiting researchers not at the Department on an explicit invitation are expected to cover their own costs toward travel, accommodation and subsistence. In addition, for long-term visitors the Department may charge a monthly visitor fee. The conditions will be negotiated on a case by case basis.

Visitors from Non-EU/EEA countries may need a visa to enter Denmark for short-term visits and a residence permit for long-term visits. More information can be found here: and Currently, invited researchers with a Master’s degree can visit for up to three consecutive months without a residence permit. If you plan to visit the Department for more than three months be aware that the process of applying for a residence permit normally can take up to three months.

Til toppen

Arranging a visit

If you already know who at the department you intend to visit, you should contact this person. Most likely this person will become your contact person and will refer you to the relevant part of the administration. You can find contact details here:

Otherwise, you should consider which of the Department’s research groups best fits your own research, and contact the Chair of that research group. If you are in doubt about which research group best fits your research, contact the Head of Section in the section most relevant for you:

Til toppen