PhD programme of study
The Department of Science Education (DSE) offers PhD programmes in all departmental areas of research (see description under research).
We are currently connected with the Danish National Graduate School of Research in Science and Mathematics Education, which was formed in collaboration with other research environments in the field, and with the Nordic Graduate School in Mathematics Education.
Thus PhD students at DSE will become part of an innovative, expanding research environment situated within a wide national and international network. In the coming years, there will be a great demand for professionals with research proficiency in the didactics of science and mathematics, from both a variety of teacher training institutions and other institutions dealing with science communication.
Guidelines for external applications for PhD
If you wish to apply for DSE to host your PhD application, you should get in touch with a research group leader as soon as possible. The research group leader must find your project interesting and invite it into the research group. The research group leader is the scientific contact regarding your project. To judge the relevance for the research group, you must provide a project description – first perhaps as a draft and later in an elaborated form.
Once contact has been established with the research group leader, you must contact the relevant head of section (SMART, HPS, CDE) who would be your nearest manager, if the application is successful. With the head of section, you should arrange for the conditions for housing (including funding and/or bench fees). The head of section will negotiate this based on the budget and project description, which you provide. The budget must be entered into the UCPH application platform NIMBUS, and your sponsoring research group leader or the relevant head of section can guide you towards that end.
Eventually, a formal housing offer will have to be issued by the head of department.
- You should send a project description draft upon (or soon after) initial contact with the relevant research group leader.
- An elaborated project description must be available to the research group leader a month before the application deadline
- An elaborated project description and a complete budget must be available to the head of section three weeks before the application deadline.
- The final budget must be accepted by the funding officer two weeks before application deadline, and submitted to the head of department for the housing offer.
- As a matter of policy, we do not enroll PhD students on foreign grants if there is a clause that the grant be paid back if the project is terminated.
- As a matter of policy, we do not wish to enroll PhD students on an unrealistically low living budget.