Supervision of PhD Students
You will get the opportunity to meet with other PhD supervisors in a course where you can exchange ideas, concerns and experiences regarding PhD supervision. You will get tools and ideas for the supervisory process.
The participants will improve their skills to:
- engaging in discussions about research education at the participant's institution and faculty while drawing on theoretical justifications and reasoning
- using conceptual models and a range of techniques to adapt their supervision to the needs of the doctoral student and the phase in the doctoral studies
- developing their individual (flexible) strategy to build and maintain a good working relationship and set boundaries for their supervision
- developing their supervision practice continuously
- providing feedback on texts and presentations
- aligning expectations - preventing problems
- engaging in cross-cultural supervision
- using questioning techniques and active listening in the supervision situation
The course is structured as half day, a full course day and a half day, with interim periods for individual and group assignments. The total work load is estimated to be around 27-30 hours. By the end of each day, time is set aside to reflect on lessons learned. Together with your goal setting and assessment, the reflective notes can feed into your teaching portfolio.
The course consists of presentations by the course teachers, group work and assignments.
We expect you to participate in peer feedback on actual supervision in the interim period and to engage actively in the activities during the course days and to document your competence development. Tools to identify your goals and assess your competences will support this.
Before the first day of the course, participants should submit information on their expectations to the course and their current practice (guidelines will be sent out).
PhD supervisors, principal or supplementary, new as well as experienced, from post docs to professors.
The course is free for members of the faculty of SCIENCE.
For others DKK: 2000,-
Department of Science Education, Øster Voldgade 3, 1350 København K
Download the Inspiration Sheet (pdf) for clarifying mutual expectations between PhD and supervisor about supervision.
Statements from former course participants:
I really enjoyed the course and the teacher did an excellent job catering the course to our needs. She was very flexible in the way she worked with us and answered all of our questions. She has so much knowledge and experience in the area.
As a foreign lektor, I learned quite a bit about the acceptable conduct regarding supervision of a Danish PhD student.
Fall course 2019
Wednesday 2 October 09:00 - 13:30
Thursday 31 October 09:00 - 16:00
Wednesday 20 November intermediate day
Tuesday 10 December 09:00 - 13:30
Deadline for registration September 11, 2019
Registration is closed
Spring Course 2020
The course is structured as half day, a full course day and a half day, with interim periods for individual and group assignments. The total work load is estimated to be around 27-30 hours. You have to participate all the course days, to pass the course.
Tuesday 25 February 09:00 - 13:30
Tuesday 24 March 09:00 - 16:00
Thursday 16 April intermediate day
Wednesday 6 09:00 - 13:30
Deadline for registration February 1, 2020
Please make your registration here